THESE. BURGERS. ARE. EVERYTHING. And they are HEALTHY! What’s not to love?! I love going out for a delicious, juicy burger but when I’m trying to watch what I’m putting into my pie hole I like to make as much food as I can at home. When you cook at home you know EXACTLY what is going into your body and where it came from! If you love turkey burgers, guacamole (who doesn’t) and a nice kick of spice this recipe is for you!
There are so many recipes on Pinterest for spicy turkey burgers but so many of them include cheese — and if you’ve been following my journey for the last few weeks, you know I’ve cut cheese out (and all dairy except on treat/cheat meals — see this post for more on that!) — at first, I was disappointed that Pinterest had let me down — then I made the best out of the situation and said: “I’ll do this for the blog!”
The first time I made them I literally threw ingredients into a bowl mixed it with the ground turkey and cooked them up – when my sister and I bit into them we were both like UM, WOW! So I knew I had to actually recreate them and write down what I did so I could share it with all of you + my mom was dying to try them!
If you like things HOT, follow this exactly — if you only like a little kick adjust the seasonings to your liking!
SPICY GUACAMOLE TURKEY BURGERS
Serving Size: 4 | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes
TURKEY BURGER INGREDIENTS
I pound ground Turkey (I use the dark meat + the light meat — if you are watching your fat intake use Turkey Breast)
1.5 TBSP Fajita Seasoning (I used The Spice Hunter Fajita Seasoning Salt-Free Blend)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
hot sauce, to taste
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh jalapeño (I leave the seeds but if you like less heat, remove seeds)
2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1 tbsp green Verde salsa (this is optional but I LOVE IT, in my opinion, it makes the burgers juicy)
1/2 tbsp crushed garlic (you can use freshly minced if you prefer as well)
1 ripe avocado
4 cherry tomatoes, chopped
finely chopped jalapeño, to taste
finely chopped red onion, to taste
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
salt, to taste
CHIPOTLE MAYO INGREDIENTS
***You can buy Chipotle Mayo but I always have canned Chipotles in Adobo on hand so I made it from scratch instead***
4 tbsp Vegan Mayo (or greek yogurt if you eat dairy)
1 tbsp sauce from Chipotles canned in Adobo
Microgreens or lettuce leaves
GF Whole Wheat buns (or eat them on top of a salad if you are low carb/keto)
- BURGERS: Add ground turkey meat to a bowl and add all seasonings, chopped onion, jalapeño, cilantro, salsa verde, and garlic and mix well
- Form turkey meat mixture into burger-shaped patties, about 4 – 5 ounces each
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in large saute pan, heat over medium-high heat for about 1 minute
- Add turkey patties to the hot pan and let cook 5 minutes aside
- GUACAMOLE: While the burgers are cooking, mash the avocado in a bowl with a fork
- Add in chopped tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeños, and salt to taste and mix all together and set aside
- CHIPOTLE MAYO: Combine mayo and the adobo sauce in a bowl and mix together, set aside
- Toast buns and get all your additional toppings ready for your burgers
- Add chipotle mayo to one side of the bun, hot sauce to the other side, add the burger, top with salsa verde, guacamole, and microgreens!
As always if you recreate this recipe make sure to tag me @fittybritttty and use the hashtag #fittybrittttyEATS on Instagram so I can see your creations!